(Cross-posted from The Courage Campaign)
Rep. Lynn Woolsey (CA-06), with the support of Rep. Barbara Lee (CA-09) and Rep. Maxine Waters (CA-35), today introduced HR 508, The Bring Our Troops Home and Sovereignty of Iraq Restoration Act.
Follow me over the flip for a look at what the bill would accomplish, per Rep. Woolsey's diary over at dKos:
1. Withdraw all U.S. troops and military contractors from Iraq within six months from date of enactment.
2. Prohibit any further funding to deploy, or continue to deploy U.S. troops in Iraq. The bill does, however, allow for funding to be used, as needed, to ensure a safe withdrawal of all US military personnel and contractors, diplomatic consultations. Funding may also be used for the increased training and equipping of Iraqi and international security forces.
3. Accelerate, during the six month transition, training of a permanent Iraqi security force.
4. Authorize, if requested by the Iraqi government, U.S. support for an international stabilization force. Such a force would be funded for no longer than two years, and be combined with economic and humanitarian assistance.
5. Guarantee full health care funding, including mental health, for U.S. veterans of military operations in Iraq and other conflicts.
6. Rescind the Congressional Authorization for the War in Iraq.
7. Prohibit the construction of permanent US military bases in the country.
8. Finally, we believe that Iraqi oil belongs to the Iraqis. Once the oil is in the international market, the U.S. will certainly have access to our share. That’s why our bill ensures that the U.S. has no long-term control over Iraqi oil.
Thank you, Reps. Woolsey, Lee, Waters and all that are supporting this bill. Contact them below to let them know they have your support: