• From Chuck Devore, the guy running for United States Senate: “Unlike many veterans, I have been fortunate not to see combat. I was “officially” shot at only once; during the Los Angeles riots in 1992 (well, there was that time in Lebanon, but that wasn’t official; and I was carjacked in 1988 by Panamanian paramilitaries).” That guy is a character.
• OC Attorney (and dentist!) Orly Taitz is at it again. Apparently, she is very upset about the fact that several people that she tried to get as witnesses in her case trying to prove President Obama was not born in the US filed affidavits saying that she tried to get them to lie in the court. Hopefully the State Bar will take up the case of Ms. Taitz. This conduct is egregious; we can’t have lawyers suborning purjury.
• Timm Herdt takes a look at the LG selection through the prism of offshore drilling. Garamendi was a strong opponent of drilling from that perch, but a replacement is unlikely to have such objections. This could make a big difference as the State Lands Commission might flip to supportive of drilling under a Schwarzenegger appointment.
• Attorney General Jerry Brown’s office ruled that the actions of their former colleague, Scott Gerber, were not illegal. Gerber has been embroiled in controversy after admitting to recording phone calls with reporters without their permission.
• Michela Alioto-Pier, San Francisco Supervisor and 1998 Secretary of State Dem. nominee, got a big endorsement: former Vice President Al Gore. She has very little name recognition, but neither do the two Assembly members in the race, Dave Jones and Hector De La Torre. Also,as the only announced female candidate in a three-way race, she gets a demographic boost. That might end up being a pretty interesting primary.
• A federal judge has cleared the way for a lawsuit against former Bush legal aide and UC Berkeley law professor John Yoo based upon his memos to authorize torture. Yoo’s lawyers say that it will open a flood of litigation against Bush administration officials. Perhaps that is because they took a flood of illegal actions.