* Steve Poizner apparently decided that he had better credentials than Insurance Commish for his ballot designation. He went with the oh-so-descriptive “businessman.”
* Apparently one debate was sufficient for Whitman. She declined a second debate with Poizner.
* Chris Kelly dumped another $2 million into his campaign. Money can’t buy you love, but it buys lots of TV time.
* Sen. Oropeza’s bill to ban smoking in state parks and beaches was defeated in the Assembly.
* John Wildermuth examines the argument before the FPPC concerning Gavin Newsom’s “double-dipping.”
* Speaker Perez named his leadership team and committee chairs. He included two Republicans as committee chairs for the local government and veterans committees.